Two Upgrade Bonus Rebate
The Two Upgrade Bonus is a $300 bonus rebate for installing two or more eligible energy efficiency upgrades. This $300 bonus is provided in addition to the individual rebates that are available.
Who can apply
Application must be submitted within 6 months of the invoice date of the second eligible upgrade
Funding provided by
The Province of British Columbia, BC Hydro, FortisBC
Two upgrade bonus
Install two (2) CleanBC Better Homes or Home Renovation Rebate Program eligible upgrades.
In order to qualify for this rebate, all of the following requirements must be met. Please read them carefully. Contact an Energy Coach if you have questions.
Requirements for the home
You must live in an eligible home:
- The home must be a year-round primary residence that is at least 12 months old.
- You must have a residential utility account with FortisBC, BC Hydro, or a municipal utility.
- The home must be one of the following types:
- Single family home (detached dwelling)
- Secondary suite in a single-family home (detached dwelling), with its own separate utility meter
- Mobile home that is permanently fixed, sits on a foundation and is structurally complete with installed and connected plumbing, heating, electrical, water and sewer services; towing apparatus and axle must be removed
- Duplex, triplex, row home or townhome, where each unit has its own natural gas and/or electricity meter; utility accounts must be in the name of the resident and/or homeowner. Utility accounts in the name of a strata corporation are not eligible.
- Your home must be primarily heated with:
- Natural Gas or piped-propane supplied by FortisBC
- Natural Gas supplied by Pacific Northern Gas
- Electricity supplied by FortisBC, BC Hydro, or a municipal utility
- Oil or propane not supplied by FortisBC
*If the home is heated with electricity supplied by BC Hydro, the home must meet a minimum electricity consumption. Use the BC Hydro Home Renovation Rebate program eligibility tool to determine whether your home meets the minimum electricity consumption rates.
Requirements for your contractor
All new equipment must be installed:
- By a licensed contractor with a GST number and a valid B.C. business license for the trade applicable to the upgrade being installed (e.g. Heat pumps must be installed by a licensed residential heating and cooling contractor).
- Self-installations are not eligible.
- As of July 1, 2022, you need to hire a Home Performance Contractor Network (HPCN) member for your heat pump installation to be eligible for heat pump rebates. If your installation invoice is dated before July 1, 2022, this requirement does not apply. To identify contractors in your region, use the Find a Contractor search tool.
- Contractors interested in becoming registered in to become a HPCN member can register at homeperformance.ca/contractornetwork.
- You must install a minimum of two bonus-eligible upgrades. The first upgrade must be installed on or after September 28, 2018. The second upgrade must be installed within 18 months of the first upgrade.
Requirements for the upgrade
- Insulation – must have a minimum rebate value of $500 per location. Eligible locations are attic, exterior wall cavity, exterior wall sheathing and basement and crawlspace walls. Each location is considered one upgrade.
- Primary heating system (ductless mini-slit heat pump, ductless multi-split heat pump, central ducted heat pump, dual fuel ducted heat pump, combination space and water heat pump, natural gas furnace or boiler, natural gas combination heating and hot water system) – a maximum of one primary heating system is eligible for the rebate.
- Secondary heating system (natural gas fireplace) – a maximum of one fireplace can be counted toward the bonus and must replace an existing gas fireplace.
- Water heater (heat pump water heater or natural gas water heater)– a maximum of one hot water system can be counted towards the bonus.
- Windows and doors – must achieve a minimum rebate value of $250.
- For more information, see individual rebate pages:
- Ductless Mini-Split Heat Pump
- Ductless Multi-Split Heat Pump
- Tier 1 Central Ducted Heat Pump
- Tier 2 Central Ducted Heat Pump
- Dual Fuel Ducted Heat Pump
- Air-to-Water Heat Pump
- Combined Space and Hot Water Heat Pump
- Electrical Service Upgrade
- Natural Gas Furnace
- Natural Gas Boiler
- Natural Gas Combination Heating and Hot Water System
- Natural Gas Water Heater
- Electric Heat Pump Water Heater
- Natural Gas Fireplace
- Windows and Doors
The application must be submitted within 6 months of the invoice date of the second eligible upgrade.
How to apply
Before you begin
- Carefully read the Program Requirements and Additional Terms and Conditions to confirm your eligibility.
- Install two or more bonus-eligible upgrades.
- Once your upgrades are installed, complete the online application and upload all supporting documentation including copies of all receipts and invoices. See sample invoices.
Who to contact
FAQs and more
Learn about the House as a System
Get help from professionals
Finding the right contractor is key to having a successful home energy retrofit.Find a registered contractor