Federal and Provincial GST/HST New Housing Rebate
Through the Federal and Provincial Government GST/HST New Housing Rebate Program, you may be eligible to receive a new housing rebate for some of the GST/HST paid for new constructed or substantially renovated residential homes.
Who can apply
Homeowners in Canada who have recently purchased a new house or recently built or substantially renovated your home.
Funding provided by
The Government of Canada
Eligibility varies based on the offer and category being accessed. For complete program details, see the website.
- The GST/HST new housing rebate allows an individual to recover some of the GST or the federal part of the HST paid for a new or substantially renovated house that is for use as the individual’s, or their relation’s, primary place of residence, when all of the other conditions are met.
- However, it is not available to an individual if the individual co-owns the housing with another person who is not an individual.
- The new housing rebate is not available to a corporation or a partnership.
You may be entitled to claim a GST/HST new housing rebate for an owner-built house if you:
- built, or engaged someone else to build, a house on land that you already owned or leased
- substantially renovated, or engaged someone else to substantially renovate, your existing house (at least 90% of the interior of the existing house must be removed or replaced to be a substantial renovation)
- renovated, or engaged someone else to renovate, your existing house and built, or engaged someone else to build, a major addition to your house, to the extent that this is viewed as a newly built house (for example, the addition of a full second story to an existing bungalow). Adding a sun porch, sun room, family room, or bedroom by itself is not a major addition
- converted a non-residential property into your house
- purchased a new or substantially renovated mobile home or a new floating home from a builder of the home (this includes the manufacturer or vendor of the home) or you or someone you hired substantially renovated such a home
You may be entitled to claim a GST/HST new housing rebate for a house purchased from a builder if one of the following apply:
- you purchased a new or substantially renovated house (building and land) from a builder
- you purchased a new or substantially renovated mobile home or a new floating home from a builder (this includes the manufacturer or vendor)
- you purchased a share of the capital stock of a co-operative housing corporation (co-op) where the co-op has paid tax in respect of a new or substantially renovated house
- you purchased a new or substantially renovated house from a builder where you leased the land from that builder under the same agreement to buy the house and the lease is for 20 years or more or gives you the option to buy the land
For more information, see New housing rebate for houses purchased from a builder.
You must keep all applicable forms and supporting documentation for a period of 6 years after the rebate is administered.
How to apply
- Complete the applicable application form and include appropriate documents with your application, as indicated under the applicable rebate you are claiming.
- Submit the application to the address indicated on the bottom of the applicable application form.
Who to contact
FAQs and more
New Home FAQs
Get help from professionals
Finding the right contractor is key to having a successful home energy retrofit.Find a registered contractor