Indigenous Peoples face unique challenges that influence participation in a housing retrofit program. To ensure inclusivity and reflect Indigenous home-ownership models, the following groups are all eligible applicants for the Canada Greener Homes Grant:
- Individual Indigenous homeowners;
- Indigenous governments or organizations (e.g., band councils, land claim organizations); and
- Housing management bodies and other representative organizations / Indigenous service delivery organizations with formal partnerships with Indigenous governments or organizations.
Certain flexibilities may apply to Indigenous governing bodies and organizations, such as:
- registering multiple homes
- registering homes that are not the owner’s primary residence
- reimbursement levels tailored to Northern and off-grid locations, where applicable
Homeowners can find out if their community is considered “off-grid” by consulting the Remote Energy Communities Database.
Did you see a building science or energy efficiency term you did not understand? Check out our glossary.